Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tanks and paints

This last weekend I had the opportunity to attend a weathering and pigments class presented by MisterJustin of secret weapon minis. The class lasted about 3.5 hours and the result is that I have become a convert to pigment weathering.

I know it's a bit blurry but I think that it turned out pretty good. Especially when you consider that it's one layer of paint over a white undercoat with pigments doing the rest!


On to the armor then! I am finishing up the weather effects on my first leman Russ battle tank! Should be done tonight.

I started with adeptus battle grey and gnorloc green with a heavy wash of secret weapon armor wash over it.

I then dry brushed Gretchen green and codex grey over the top and painted the recesses with Devlan mud. I picked out the eagle and the company marking with skull white and then started in on secret weapon green earth pigment.

The effect is a dirt encrusted tank that has seen service on a forested world where it rains quite frequently!

That's all for now.


3 comments:

  1. I've not used pigments before but I'm seriously considering it. It looks brilliant well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sir,

    I really like how it turned out and the pigments were a blast to use.

    check out the Secret weapon minis page, they have a couple tutorials on this sort of thing.

    I think I'm going to try their realistic mud effect for my fen guard bases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the fold. Now that you've found pigments, your painting will never be the same.

    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete